The Associate of Arts in Liberal Studies program provides students with opportunities to complete an initial college degree while establishing a solid academic foundation for a bachelor degree. A student may select elective courses for the associate degree program from one of the University’s bachelor degrees. Upon completion of the associate degree, a student may have completed one-half of the requirements for a bachelor’s degree. The associate degree requires 20 credit hours of general education, 24 credit hours of prescribed core courses, and 20 credit hours of elective courses. In completing the general education requirements for the associate degree a student can also complete the general education requirement of a bachelor’s degree. The core course requirements for the associate degree include two specified courses and two course requirements in which the student is given an option in each case from two specified courses.
Upon completion of the Associate of Arts in Liberal Studies Program, the graduate will be able to:
These outcomes are assessed in the program exit exam and the General Competency Test. The program exit exam is administered in the following capstone course:
GT 2401 – You and the American Government
The Course Requirements of 64 semester credit hours for the degree program Associate of Arts in Liberal Studies includes general education courses (20 semester hours), program specific courses (24 semester hours), elective courses (20 semester hours).
Students desiring to enroll in the Associate of Arts (AA) in Liberal Studies degree program should make application for admission online. Continuous participation in the program until all requirements of the AA are met is mandatory for graduation. If a student decides to discontinue work on the AA he or she may do so by submitting a change of degree application. Application fees and change of degree fees are itemized on the Amridge University Tuition and Fees Schedule.
A degree completion fee is charged to all students who petition the University for graduation. Application must be submitted no later than the first day of classes of the semester prior to the semester the student plans to graduate. A credit of this fee will be applied to the student’s account if he or she goes into the bachelors program after completing the Associate of Arts degree.
Only one degree will be awarded in a given semester. An associate degree and a bachelor degree will not be awarded simultaneously.
Graduation Requirements for the Associate of Arts in Liberal Studies
Before being graduated with the Associate of Arts in Liberal Studies, a student must satisfy the following requirements:
1. Complete at least 64 semester hours of which at least 20 semester hours must be taken with Amridge University;
2. Complete all required coursework for the respective degree;
3. Pass the program capstone course and the Program Exit Examination that is given as part of the capstone course;
4. Pass the General Competency Test (GCT); and
5. Have a cumulative grade point average of 2.0 or higher.
6. Complete an Amridge University Degree Completion Application. The properly completed and signed application must be submitted no later than the first day of classes of the semester prior to the semester the student plans to graduate. Following this schedule permits the University to conduct a full audit of the respective student’s records to make sure that all courses, programs, and respective graduation requirements have been met. Students having any questions regarding the Degree Completion Application should contact the Registrar’s Office.