The Master of Divinity (MDiv) in Pastoral Counseling is a professional-level degree program for individuals planning to enter or continue careers in full-time ministry. A major element of this program provides students with extensive studies in the biblical text and thorough preparation in theology and various areas of practical ministry. Another major element provides students with a foundation for psychology theory, scientific research, and clinical practice. In this context, students learn the different approaches and clinical techniques required for today’s practitioners offering therapeutic services to individuals and groups.
Upon completion of the Master of Divinity in Pastoral Counseling Program, the graduate will be able to:
These outcomes are assessed through a comprehensive examination. A student may demonstrate achievement of these outcomes by receiving a passing grade (i.e., ”Qualifying” or “Qualifying with Distinction”) for the comprehensive examination given for this degree.
Time Normally Required to Complete the Program
The Master of Divinity in Pastoral Counseling may be completed in about three years. A student may take the courses on a part-time or full-time basis.
Clinicals and Practicums
Students, not Amridge University, are responsible for locating and making arrangements for their practicum and clinical experiences and courses. As such, students are strongly encouraged to begin making the required arrangements several semesters before the semester of the respective student’s first practicum or clinical experiences courses.
Special Note Related to Practicum, Intern, and Clinical Courses for the State of Maryland Residents
Due to Amridge University’s decision regarding licensing issues with the State of Maryland, Amridge University students may not participate in practicum, clinical, or internship experiences within the boundaries of that state. Maryland residents are, of course, fully able to participate in all other study and course areas within the State of Maryland.
GRADUATION REQUIREMENTS FOR THE MASTER OF DIVINITY IN PASTORAL COUNSELING
Before being graduated with the Master of Divinity in Pastoral Counseling, a student must satisfy the following requirements:
1. A total of 90 graduate semester hours of which at least 48 semester hours must be taken at Amridge University;
2. Complete all required coursework including the specified practicum and clinical courses;
3. Have a cumulative GPA of 2.0;
4. Students who expect to pursue further graduate study beyond this degree should maintain a 3.0 GPA;
5. Pass the respective Comprehensive Examination as specified within this publication. The Comprehensive Examination serves as the Program Exit Examination; and
6. Complete an Amridge University Degree Completion Application. The properly completed and signed application must be submitted no later than the first day of classes of the semester prior to the semester the student plans to graduate. Following this schedule permits the University to conduct a full audit of the respective student’s records to make sure that all courses, programs, and respective graduation requirements have been met. Students having any questions regarding the Degree Completion Application should contact the Registrar’s Office.